WCS Garden Project
School Garden Mission: To enhance the educational experience for all WCS students through a hands-on learning environment. Students will learn how to be sustainable stewards of the land, be exposed to gardening techniques, work independently and within group settings while they explore their relationship and impact on the earth in accordance with the Bible’s teachings. “The Lord God took the man and put Him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.” Genesis 2:15 NIV
- The garden will be an outdoor classroom that enhances the existing high standard curriculum that WCS offers its students. Multiple subjects will be explored; Science, Math and Art will be integrated into the garden curriculum through a hands-on, practical approach.
- To harvest and utilize the organically grown produce from the school garden in school lunches; thus reducing the need to purchase foods from other resources and improving nutrition value of our lunch program.
- Demonstrate to the community, by example, that WCS models land awareness and sustainable land stewardship. God has given WCS a great gift in its property and we are responsible to be good stewards of the land.
Garden Phase One
Build garden infrastructure including irrigation and fencing. COMPLETED Sept 2015
Garden Phase Two
The school garden is underway, we have many fruits and vegetables already growing! Our next goals include purchasing more lumber for garden beds, landscape fabric, and a Rainwater Catchment system for around $1,000 total. Future projects include building a tool shed and a greenhouse.
Spring 2016 Update
- Completed: New Composting Area
- Planted: peas, beans, potatoes, carrots, cabbage, kohlrabi, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, cucumbers, pear and apple trees, and blue berries.